LISTEN. THINK. DELIVER.
Joel L. Benavides joined the firm in 2012, and has a robust litigation practice focusing on business, real estate and employment disputes. He also counsels employers of all sizes concerning hiring, retention, severance, pre-litigation matters, employment policies and handbooks, mass layoffs, and human resources training.
Mr. Benavides has advised national and multinational corporate clients regarding a wide range of business transactions and employment issues, and has managed international litigation. In connection with those representations, Mr. Benavides has prosecuted and defended the interests of his clients at both the trial court level in California state and federal court, as well as in the California appellate courts.
Mr. Benavides represents clients in assorted intellectual property matters including counseling, prosecution and enforcement; and litigation involving issues of trademark, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition/false advertising. Mr. Benavides has also successfully defended corporate clients in class action lawsuits alleging violations of the Consumers Legal Remedies Act and California Business and Professions Code §17200, et seq.
Mr. Benavides was admitted to practice in California in 2008. Since 2014, Mr. Benavides has been recognized annually as a “Southern California Rising Star” and was featured in Los Angeles magazine and Super Lawyers magazine as one of the premier lawyers in Southern California under the age of 40.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Benavides was an associate at a boutique litigation firm in Beverly Hills, California, where he handled civil litigation with an emphasis on labor and employment defense, and general business matters.
Selected Significant Matters
- Successfully represented restaurant chain in defense of various tort and contract claims asserted by project manager in connection with construction of several new restaurants in Southern California, recovering fees and costs in excess of $225,000.
- Represented defendant in trademark dispute alleging defendant’s infringement of plaintiff’s registered mark, obtaining dismissal of plaintiff’s claims
- Represented defendant in New York arbitration of $2,000,000 defamation claim, obtaining dismissal of Plaintiffs’ claims
- Successfully represented e-commerce website in dispute against competing e-commerce website for violation of the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and trademark infringement
- Obtained judgment on behalf of plaintiff law firm in fee dispute with client over unpaid legal bills
- Represented majority shareholder in litigation concerning corporate mismanagement, obtaining removal of defendant corporate officer and reimbursement of shareholder’s attorneys’ fees and costs
- Represented plaintiffs in specific performance action, obtaining judgment on all claims and recovery of plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees and costs
- Successfully defended commercial real estate brokerage firm in dispute involving purchase/sale of a commercial property worth over 6.7 million dollars in a failed Internal Revenue Code §1031 exchange
- Successfully represented defendants in commercial real estate management dispute alleging mismanagement of various commercial properties with an estimated worth of over 10 million dollars, negotiating a division and equitable distribution of the commercial properties between the various stakeholders
- Successfully defended charitable organization by obtaining defense judgment against numerous individual and class claims alleging violations of the Consumers Legal Remedies Act and California Business and Professions Code §17200, et seq. (UCL)
- Successfully represented plaintiffs in connection with international litigation involving dispute over licensing, bottling, and distribution rights of Pepsi-Cola products in the country of Ecuador
- Successfully represented defendant landlord against assorted claims of negligent management, ownership, security and maintenance of commercial shopping center
- Successfully defended landlord by obtaining dismissal of claims for negligent management, ownership, security and maintenance of residential housing complex
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of steel fabrication company against claims alleging negligent maintenance of an industrial workover rig resulting in catastrophic injuries to the rig operator
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of manufacturer of industrial trash compactors against strict product liability claim
- Successfully represented commercial landlord in connection with eminent domain proceedings involving the County of Riverside
- Successfully defended neighbors in boundary and fraud dispute seeking teardown of defendants’ encroaching structures by negotiating settlement allowing structures to be maintained and redrawing property lines to benefit defendants
- Successfully represented former executive in connection with his wrongful termination and age discrimination claims against a prominent energy company, securing generous severance, payment for unpaid accrued salary, and continuing medical benefits for the former employee and his spouse.
- Assisted and advised various corporations and non-profit organizations in connection with pre-litigation consulting, employee handbook development, mass layoff consulting, arbitration agreements, and human resources training for institutions and businesses of all sizes
- Assisted various employers and organizations in negotiating terms of executive compensation, employment, and termination
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Complex Business and Commercial Disputes
- Real Estate Litigation
- Employment Law and Litigation
- Intellectual Property and Unfair Competition Litigation
- Appellate Law and Practice
- California, 2008
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. – 2008
- B.A. magna cum laude – 2003
Honors and Awards
- Southern California Rising Star, 2014 – 2018
- One of the Premier Lawyers in Southern California Under the Age of 40, Los Angeles Magazine and Super Lawyers Magazine
Contact The Firm
Bold labels are required.
21515 Hawthorne Boulevard, Suite 450
Torrance, CA 90503