LISTEN. THINK. DELIVER.
Michael J. Gibson has practiced law with the firm since his admission to the bar in 1984. He has pursued a wide ranging practice in the fields of business and real estate transactional law over the past thirty-two years, acquiring substantial experience in business and real estate litigation along the way.
Mr. Gibson represents manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, and professional services firms with respect to formation of business entities, buy and sell arrangements among business owners, purchase and sale of business assets and of ownership interests in business entities, business financing, employment and consulting agreements, and commercial transactions.
Mr. Gibson’s real estate clients include owners and investors in commercial, industrial, and multi-family residential properties, developers, and building contractors. He provides representation in such matters as purchase and sale transactions, leasing, development, and financing.
Mr. Gibson also advises nonprofit organizations with respect to the formation, tax exemption qualification, maintenance, and termination of such organizations. In addition to charitable, educational, and arts organizations, he represents business and residential common interest development owner associations.
Mr. Gibson has a professional and personal interest in the field of heritage conservation, which involves the preservation of architectural and landscape resources that possess historic or cultural value. He is well-versed in the field’s legal dimensions, and is actively involved with a number of governmental, academic, and advocacy organizations.
Mr. Gibson is AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell.
Selected Significant Matters
• Represented a time share resort developer in a $350,000,000 transaction involving a sale of assets and transfer of management responsibilities for nine resorts located in California, Nevada, Utah, and Baja California, and a $48,000,000 follow-up transaction involving a sale of substantially all assets of three resort services companies
• Represented an industrial fastener manufacturer in a $120,700,000 transaction involving a sale of substantially all company assets
• Represented a real estate developer in a $56,500,000 sale and leaseback transaction involving three retail sites
• Represented the owner of a multi-family residential project in a $30,000,000 refinancing
• Represented a nutritional supplement manufacturer in a $13,800,000 transaction involving a sale of substantially all company assets
• Represented the owner of a multi-family residential project in a $13,300,000 refinancing
• Represented an entertainment company in a $12,750,000 transaction involving a sale of select assets
• Represented a land owner in the restructuring of a wind power facilities lease involving a reconfiguration of leased parcels and creation of multiple access licenses, encroachment easements, and setback waivers
• Represented a document management company in a transaction involving a purchase of substantially all assets of a competitor having a complementary customer base
Areas of Practice
- Business and Non-Profit Formation and Governance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate Purchase and Sale
- Real Estate Leasing and Development
- Business and Real Estate Financing
- Commercial Transactions
- Commercial and Residential Owners Association Representation
- Heritage Conservation Law
- California, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. – 1984
- Loyola Marymount University
- B.A. summa cum laude – 1978
- University of Southern California School of Architecture
- Master of Historic Preservation / Heritage Conservation – 2009
- Introduction to Paralegal Studies (with David G. Cooper); first edition, South-Western Publishing Co., 1994; second edition, West Publishing, 1998
Honors and Awards
- AV-rated by Martindale Hubbell
Selected Outside Activities
- South Bar Bar Association of Los Angeles County
- President, 2000
- Director, 1991 to 2001
- Society of Architectural Historians
- Executive Committee, 2015 to present
- Treasurer, 2015 to present
- Investment Committee Chair, 2012 to 2015, 2017 to present
- Director, 2012 to 2015
- City of Redondo Beach Historic Preservation Commission
- Chair, 2008 to 2012
- Member, 2004 to 2013
Contact The Firm
Bold labels are required.
21515 Hawthorne Boulevard, Suite 450
Torrance, CA 90503